Thursday 24 November 2016

Flat Cap and Loaf o' Bread

Shaftesbury 

A hilltop town overlooking north Dorset and the chalk hills. 

Made famous by the Hovis advert which featured the steep, cobbled Gold Hill and has been featured on the cover of countless books about Dorset.

Gold Hill in Shaftesbury

Far from the Madding Crowd

Gold Hill is, of course, famous for the 1973 Boy on Bike television advertisement for Hovis bread.  It also featured in the film version of Far from the Madding Crowd.

My first visit and I wasn't sure

When we visited, it was the first time I had ever been there and I wasn’t sure whether I wanted to walk down Gold hill.  Apart from the fact it was raining, the hill looked so steep!

I wanted to get a photograph with some authenticity.  An image that showed how steep the hill really was and how things were in times gone by!

Flat Cap and loaf o' bread 

My efforts to get Malcolm to dress up in flat cap, and to walk up the hill with 'bike and loaf o' bread' fell on deaf ears! 😆

To be perfectly honest I was trying to get out of walking down the hill myself and thought I would offer to stay 'at top with camera'!

Once down that hill, I thought to myself, I'll never get back up again!

Help the Aged

Fortunately there was a hand rail to help the aged!! 

Not to mention the lovely pub at the top where I could sit and recover!

No comments:

Post a Comment